The greatest pleasure in life, is doing the things people say we cannot do.
-- Walter Bagehot
April 16th, 2011
The Race
I am anxious as I approach the start line. This is my first half marathon. I begin to jog at a steady pace, not wanting to injure or tire myself quickly. I didn’t stretch enough; I know I will be sore. At mile three I am smiling, knowing I have a ways to go but feeling confident I can keep running; despite the lack of sufficient training. Mile five comes and I still am feeling as if I could run forever. At mile 8 the miles are starting to feel long. When I see the mile marker for 9 I am excited, only four miles left! I am feeling a runners high and my body feels fantastic even though I’ve been running for over an hour.
There are people all along the way cheering us on. It helps. It makes me feel so good. I feel like a celebrity. I want to hug the people handing out water at each aid station. Thank you!
What the effff!!! Where is mile ten? I swear I’ve been running forever….
Mile 11 I am almost there. Two more miles. I can make it!
What the hell is this? We’re running uphill now? What jerk decided the last part of the race should be uphill? “Let’s just make it harder for these guys to finish the race!” Douche bags. It’s killing my calves, I’m so damn tired. I am running with a girl now that I have never met before. Her name is Jenny. Her knee hurts so we walk off and on. The first time I have stopped to walk. I am trying to keep her going, but it is hard for me to stop and then start again.
I hear someone say 1.2 miles left!
I can do this! I am SO close.
She needs to keep walking and I want to run. I thank her for her company, wish her luck and I am off again.
WHERE THE HELL IS THE FINISH LINE?! I have been running for three miles, how is this only ONE?!?!?….Whoever said there was only 1.2 miles left was completely mistaken.
I can hear people cheering. I must be close………wait….I don’t see it yet……what the hell where is it already?
“One more corner you are almost there!” A guy shouts out at me encouragingly.
Thanks but uh sorry pal you are wrong cause I just turned two more corners. There are more people and they are screaming in excitement.
I’m almost there. I can feel it. I’m so excited I want to cry. I see Ryan waiting for me and I hear him say something but I only hear “Lucy.” My heart jumps into my throat and seeing him helps push me ahead. He is grinning ear to ear and I blow him a kiss. There are hundreds of people all around me now. They don’t know me and they are screaming and cheering and it helps me go on. I see an old friend who already finished the race screaming at the top of her lungs for me. I wave at her and I can’t help but smile. I pick up my pace, running faster. I see my mother and she has tears in her eyes. It makes my eyes fill up too. She waves and I smile and wave back. A little ways down I see my dad, and almost all of my siblings. They are holding a sign “You can do it Lucia!!” and they are shouting my name cheering loudly. I am waving at them too, my face split into a huge smile. They came! My heart is pounding from the adrenaline rush, the love for my family and for all the people who are cheering me on. I have the spotlight. They are all watching at me and helping me move just a little bit further…
I cross the finish line exultantly pushing myself a little too hard. If I had the energy I would be screaming and jumping up and down with my hands in the air. They give me a medal to show what I have just achieved and I guzzle down some water. Instantly my legs cramp and protest anymore movement. Despite this I continue walking to find Ryan.
I find my best friend Crystal and she hugs me. “I just shed a tear I am so proud of you!” Despite my aching legs and sore knees I am feeling as if I could do it all over again. Crossing that finish line felt amazing…..I am addicted….I want it again. I need it again.
My family runs to me and they all hug me congratulating me. Ilez comments on how great I did at the end. I can’t help but smile and appreciate my oldest sister’s support and praise. I’ve always looked up to her and now she is here to show me she is proud of me.
My dad looks so proud of me and it makes my heart skip a beat. That’s all I have ever wanted in this life. To make him proud of me. To make my mother point at me and say “This is my daughter!” in a pleased tone.
I achieved that today. I can’t express how much it means to me that they came. I cannot stand any longer, ready to collapse. I give some details, telling them of particular moments of the race. My calves are on fire, my feet are screaming to rest. Ryan gets the car and I let myself fall into the seat. Ryan is proud too and it feels amazing to know what I just accomplished. I am proud of myself. I ran it in less than 3 hours, and I feel that is damn good for a rookie runner. (Especially with almost no training)
I have major bragging rights now. Hey, I just earned it. Big time.
"A race is a work of art that people can look at and be affected in as many ways they’re capable of understanding." -Unknown-
No comments:
Post a Comment